Friday, September 11, 2009

Sheep Creek and Red Cloud loops

Our morning started out fantastically. We packed up with frost everywhere and headed out early. Because we had taken the turn too early we had missed Sheep Creek loop the day before. Not to worry. Because we were there early morning heading the now opposite direction we were witness to the most glorious scenery on our trip.





The Uinta fault is huge. And in this area readily viewable. I had no idea.










Wow. I will be back.














The drive back around the Sheep Creek bay of Flaming Gorge was also wonderful. This is a beautiful place.






Then on to Red Cloud and Dry Fork Loops. Dad says Red Cloud is where they would go deer hunting. It was bow hunt weekend and Red Cloud is still apparently the place to go. We saw no deer, but plenty of camouflaged hunters.

Again, with the name Red Cloud I was hoping for spectacular and got merely mountainous. It was a nice enough area, just not anywhere I would really want to go back to.






We drove down Dry Fork and the road which had been up on the plateau came down rather dramatically.
Then I spent some time looking at "Classic Vernal" petroglyphs at McConkie ranch before we drove back home.
I want to go back to Brown's Park especially to float the Green, and to the Sheep Creek loop. It was a nice trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment