Thursday, January 15, 2009

a GPS



I knew I'd want one. How could I wander off into the desert alone? I had the map and pictures to tell me how to get to the Wave, but I had some issues about knowing how to get back. So I knew I'd want a GPS. I have just kept putting it off due to no money to buy one. But today I passed by REI on my way to a patient's home. On the way back I stopped, hoping maybe we could rent one. Not a possibility. But as long as I was there I thought well lets see what they have. The gentleman that helped me was very nice, helpful. I told him I was just looking at the moment, but really the longer I stood there listening to him the more I knew I had to have one there really was no good reason to put it off any longer. So I bought the cheapest one they had. It is a Garmin eTrex. Looking it up online just now I discover it has been discontinued. Hmmm. Anyway its a good one to get started with.

I played with it a little, learned how to use the buttons etc, and then took it on my walk. I found out it would measure how far I'd gone and how fast I was going, and how long it was taking me...very helpful. But we had used batteries from the fridge and they ran out about a block from home. It would power back on, but nothing had been saved, so I couldn't use the information it had collected to learn more. But that of course is one reason I decided to get it now. I'll need the next two weeks to figure it out.

Maybe we can do some geocaching while we are at it. Russ will like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment