Tuesday, October 22, 2019
Came home after a little over a week in Virginia, Maryland and West Virginia with Louisa. She wanted to visit Marlaina who lives in Virginia Beach. I went with her so she wasn't trying to change airplanes in an unfamiliar airport. Then I added in many things I've wanted to see that I didn't take the time to when I lived there 43 years ago. It was a great trip. I really like the east. I'm not sure what it would be like to really live there, but it sure feels like home when I visit.
We ended up leaving some things out since I really was trying to fit in too much and I was fooling myself thinking I could do Shenendoah in a couple hours. It was wonderful to be there. We stayed in Skyland and I had completely lost my bearings there, but when I finally found the trail up the mountain, then my feet naturally went right to the employee area. We hiked Stony Man and standing on the summit with that gorgeous view of the valley and the mountains, I was overcome and when Louisa walked back I sat sobbing. It felt like I'd come full circle. My life took a pivotal turn there. Then later at Historic Jamestowne I talked with a volunteer who I realized was close to my age, he'd mentioned he'd graduated from University of Virginia in History. I asked what year and he said '79. Had I stayed and got my residency and gone to school there graduating in History like I had thought I might we could have been classmates....it was such an odd look at a kind of parallel life. I could have been him, sharing my knowledge with visitors to Jamestowne.
Since last year when we went to Australia, I have been traveling a lot. 15 states (three new ones) in the US and 4 in Australia, two hemispheres, who knows how many miles. I'm enjoying it, but at the moment a little travel weary. I'm ready to stay home for awhile. However, Celia wants to do something next week. We have an anniversary trip already planned for January and Alice and I are working on getting to Kazakistan in April. I'm planning a baseball trip in May, and Lotti Wann has done some humanitarian work with a Park City group who has a trip planned for March that I'm interested in. So I'm not finished yet. :-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment