Thursday, June 3, 2010

Snow Canyon



After we packed up we headed to Snow Canyon. We ate breakfast at the sand dunes. I loved it. Breakfast was great, the scenery was amazing, the sky was blue, it was warm but not hot, life was good.

We took our time exploring this park. We had taken the kids years ago, but I don't remember doing any hiking. So I hiked the Whiterocks trail to the amphitheater. Lots of opportunities for rock scrambling.

Then I took the Lavaflow Overlook trail from the top and hiked down to the Butterfly trail and back to the road. Russ picked me up at the bottom. It was a great way to do the trail. There was a youth group on the overlook rock so I didn't head up that all the way. I wandered through the collapsed lava tube for awhile. Then I was worried I would take too long. We had signed up for a ranger hike to Johnson Canyon.

During the summer Johnson Canyon is closed to the public to allow the animals in the area the chance to get to the water. It is the only water in the park and so is important for the animals. I was excited to learn however that they do take visitors in a couple days a week and we were there on the right day. It was a nice canyon, but perhaps because we had to go as a group and perhaps because I expected something else it wasn't as amazing as I expected. Still it was nice and Russ came as well. It was a fairly level trail and he took it slow and said at the end it wasn't as long as he thought it would be. It was a great day at the park!

No comments:

Post a Comment