Thursday, June 3, 2010

One last hurrah

We weren't planning on doing anything for Memorial day, but in the end I thought maybe the flow over Shoshone Falls would be good. I've seen it a couple times before, but not with water going over it. During the irrigation season the water is diverted to the fields, so you have to see it during the spring runoff but before the farmers lay claim. I talked Russ into the drive up to Twin Falls. He likes to drive.

FIrst we found the Twin Falls the town is named for. There is only one now as the other one has been dammed. There is a nice park there and people were out with their picnics and boats.

Over at Shoshone Falls the weather had turned a little gray, we were rained on for awhile. But the longer we stayed the better it got. This was a wonderful place. The water was medium high and we were told that it was the highest it had been all year. Pictures and videos I've seen of the falls at the height of its power are truly incredible. Even at half strength the falls are impressive.

We accidently drove by the temple and were able to get some photos of it.

Then we took the scenic road home. We drove out into the country south of Twin, found the old stagecoach and store which was a lot of fun. Finally I saw some original wagon ruts! We drove the back roads to Oakley. I thought of great Uncle William Jack here, called to come and live and be the Stake President. Even now it is way off the beaten path.

Then the decision. It was late in the day, the storm clouds appeared to be holding off, the dirt road didn't look too bad, it was only 15 miles, I decided to go for it. Even though we were driving my little Aveo I took the chance we could get to the City Of Rocks. Margaret and Gordon used to go there and climb. This was my chance to see it. The road was good until we turned off for the last 2 miles. But even then it wasn't bad. And I was so glad we took the chance. This place was wild. It made me want to scramble over them, the rocks really were just calling to be climbed. We couldn't this time, but I would love to go back and stay longer.

I know I have been very spoiled with my life. I hope I can truly appreciate all that has been given to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment