Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Getting away


Well, it wasn't what I was hoping for, but Russ and I still managed to get away for a night. I have never stayed in Wendover, wasn't really planning to stay there, but we were not ready to camp in the desert so ended up in a hotel. It was kind of fun. I especially enjoyed touring the old Wendover Historic Airfield. Because Wendover has never grown the old buildings from WWII have lasted. Five big hangars still in good shape, the control tower, some barracks, the swimming pool. They are trying to restore everything. When you realize that it was in the west desert outside of Wendover that the Enola Gay crew trained for their mission to Japan it is an important part of the war effort and worth preserving and remembering. Being there you could begin to sense the energy of the era.
It was also fun to think of Dad coming through there on his way to the South Pacific. He was kind of shuffled around before shipping out and ended up in Wendover for a few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment