
The hike to The Wave was fantastic. I couldn't have asked for a better day. It started a bit chilly, but the sky was blue no sign of clouds, the road to the trailhead was dry, it all worked out wonderfully.
We had a good breakfast at the hotel before checking out and heading to House Rock Road just west of the Coxscomb ridge. I've been on better dirt roads and worse, but we had no problems and just driving along it was wonderful. It crossed plenty of washes though so wouldn't want to be there when it is wet. The scenery is amazing. Reached the parking area and took some ibuprophen, turned on the GPS, put on Russ's hat, my scarf and gloves, shouldered my daypack and kissed Russ for good luck and I was off.
At first you walk along the wash, I think someday I'd like to come back and hike through the wirepass slot, it isn't too far. Then there is a sign at the turn off. That first hill was a killer. It takes me awhile to warm up to hiking and get my muscles working. Well that hill helped alot. I never rushed, I had all day, and I enjoyed the wonder of the desert winter on a spring like day. I signed in at the top- no one else had signed in for today. I had my directions from the BLM and they were easy to follow. Besides which though they say there is no trail, there are footprints in the sand and on the rocks people have put up cairns. And the trail is pretty straight forward. you have to get around the end of the ridge and then you just keep it on your right. I stopped often to rest and take pictures. It wasn't too long before I was shedding my scarf and gloves. About that time I saw a couple pass me. They had taken the western teepee while I had taken the shorter one. I don't think they saw me, but they were moving faster for sure.
It took me about 2 hours which was faster than I expected, to reach my destination. Wow!, it was every bit as amazing as the pictures. I didn't need special lenses, or techniques to get my pictures just like in the magazines. I spent some time at the entrance resting, taking pictures, enjoying the peace and quiet and beauty and privilege of being there. About the time I was ready to move on I saw the couple who had gone off somewhere else and returned. They waved, but then moved on to find something else. I can't believe they would not spend more time relaxing and enjoying the wonder.
I wandered off to the right in search of "the second wave" that our photographer had mentioned. Not sure I found it, but it was pretty cool nevertheless. Then I wondered to the back and discovered the real wave. This was where that first famous photo was taken. The sun had moved though and I had half shadow and half lit rock so couldn't get quite the same effect with the pictures.
I knew there was something else to discover, but had left my directions back home on the computer. So I just wandered, and ended up further and higher than I intended. No worries, I got to the other side of the ridge and could see a little bit more of where I was. What looked like Navaho Mountain was off in the distance. The air was quiet, the peace deep.
I worked my way back to the wave, sat down in the best spot and ate lunch. I couldn't believe my good fortune, really it was fantastic.
Just as I was finishing another group joined me. It turned out they were a boy scout troop from Cedar. The boys were scrambling all over the rocks and throwing snowballs. It was fun. I was glad I'd had the two hours alone, but it was nice to know there was someone else around to help if I needed it. I wandered out more to the back still trying to find the second wave, saw more amazing stuff, still not sure I found it. Then I went down and talked to the adults and then headed out.
It had been about 2 hours I'd spent there and my legs were a little weak from the hike. I didn't want to overdo it.
The hike back was not bad, though it was a little harder to decide where to head for. I had the GPS which told me I was heading in the right direction, but still there were choices to make . I loved finding the small bones along the way. One was a great trailmarker. Almost before I knew it I was back in the wash heading for the trailhead. I'd done it and it was wonderful. What a great feeling, to know I'd accomplished what I wanted to.
No comments:
Post a Comment